Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dear Little One #11


Dear Hadley,

After many, many hours of labor due to induction two weeks early, you made your appearance.  Your daddy and I were exhausted as it had been many frustrating days of trying to delivery you, followed by two and a half hours of pushing, but there you came - all 20 inches and 6.25 pounds of you.  You are perfect!

You gave us a little scare, though it didn't end up being anything too serious.  You didn't cry ferociously enough to satisfy the doctors, so after a few minutes with us, they wisked you away to the nursery where you were carefully watched by the doctors and nurses.  We thought you would have to stay another day, but you came around and were discharged even before I was.  We were so happy to take you home with us and to get out of that hospital, where we spent near a week.

The first night home with you was interesting.  We didn't sleep a wink, wondering what each sound was that you made.  I think we were over exhausted and nervous new parents because the following nights got easier.  But once we were assured that you were in fact breathing and figured out our system, we have slowly started to recoup sleep.  

Grandma came for your birth as I was very frightened, and came back this week to help out and spend time with you.  I loved having her here, as you did.  We were both spoiled and it felt good to have mom's touch.  You seem to have matured so much in the days she was here, though the changes are subtle, you have become more alert and your routine is much more defined.  You will probably be so much more grown up the next time we see her.

I enjoy listening to your daddy with you.  He sings and dances while he changes your diaper, which is just ridiculously adorable.  He is absolutely in love with you and you are, by all means, daddy's little girl.  

Hadley, I never knew I could love someone the way I love you.  You love your family and your partner, but having a baby brings on  a very different kind of love that I just don't know how to explain. I hope someday you will experience this type of love and your daddy and I can enjoy watching you fall in love with the little people you create with the person of your dreams.

Hadley, thank you for coming into our lives.  I will never be able to express what you mean to me.  While you were a surprise, you brought something to me and your family that we all needed so.  It's been a tough year losing grandpa well before his time, but you offered a light for him and all of us and reset all of our compasses.  If, after we die, we go on to heaven or our spirits live on, I like to believe that he is looking down on us, giggling, crying and singing the Love's BBQ song.  He asked of you often before he passed away and loved you very much.  I will work very hard to make sure you know all about him and how much we all loved him.  I was, too, daddy's little girl.

I love you, Hadley.

Mom


1 comment:

Ines and Carlo said...

Dear Cambria and Jonathan!

Congratulations!!! Hadley is a little angel that came into your lives! She is so little and cute. It is touching to read your blog and learn about your experiences as brand-new parents. All the best for the coming days and always.

Love, Ines