Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lunatic Mama

Hormones are fun.

Let me rephrase that...

Hormones and no sleep is fun!

I've been a tearful wreck.  I'm not depressed, just exhausted, and these whacky hormones make me cry over everything - the good and the bad.  I know other women know exactly what I am talking about, it just is and its frustrating because you feel stupid about your bout of tears after all is said and done, then you cry that you cried.

I knew baby would change my life and I was (am) ready for it.  I just had no idea.  I think it has felt more overwhelming because the five days I spent in the hospital were not at all filled with rest.  The doctor's and nurses would prescribe sleep, then constantly wake you.  So, it's been an entire month without a solid nights sleep for either Papa J or I, and I don't know if that will improve.

Everyone keeps telling me that now is "survival mode" and things will improve in a couple of weeks.  I am wondering how.  Will I finally get to slumber in the same bed at the same time as Papa J? Will I get to sleep at night like everyone else?  Or will I be forced to constantly sneak in cat naps here and there so I can breast feed the little one every two hours.

Just curious how this pans out...

Don't get me wrong, Hadley is worth every wink of sleep lost.  I just hope that those who are closest to me will be patient while I try to learn to be a normal human being with less sleep.

I'm just tired.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy First Birthday as a Mom, Cambria! Take care of yourself and embrace every moment! Love & Miss you lots - xoxoxoxo, jen

Ines and Carlo said...

Dear Cambria,

Happy Birthday and Best Wishes!!!!

Hang in there! I know it is easier said than done, but hopefully you will slowly be able to get a bit more sleep and find humor in those crazy new-parent situations... I can't even imagine how exhausting it must be.

When you can, post some more pics of Hadley, oh how I would love to visit you guys!

For now, best wishes, haaapy birthday!

Miss you tons,
Hugs,Ines

Anonymous said...

Hey Cam, yeah... the lack of sleep is nuts. It really sucks and it turns you into a crazy lunatic. Torin didn't sleep more than 3-4 hours at a time until 5 months. He had gastric reflux (GERD). That was super-fun. Learn how to nurse and nap sitting up. Ask for help. Eat well. I just sent your mom a huge email. ;-) I dig the blog. - Robin